|Serves: 4||Cuisine: Italian|
Want to impress your date and win them over on the most romantic night of the year? We have conjured up Risotto with Saffron and Radicchio for your pleasure. Chef Daniele Kucera of EtcEtc developed this for Jim, the food sleuth, to complement his new discoveries.
Saffron is the world's most precious substance. More than gold or platinum or diamonds and has been prized for its legendary erotic properties.
Saffron was reputed to have been added to Cleopatra’s bath before sexual encounters to enhance pleasure. Travelers to Persia were warned to avoid saffron, slipped to them unknowingly and sending them into lascivious transports.
Our Pure Saffron is newly harvested by hand in the Atlas Mountains of Morocco. We love its flavor, fragrance and color.
Fine ingredients make all the difference in the success of a recipe. We use not just any Italian Rice. Our choice is Antica Riseria Vignola Carnaroli Rice from Piemonte, the finest rice growing region in Italy.
We also love using a great olive oil. For this dish I have chosen Calvi Mosto Oro 100% Taggiasca Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Smooth and delicious it is like tasting sunshine.
- Approximately 1 lb of Radicchio
- Calvi Mosto Oro 100% Taggiasca Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup of Valpolicella or similar light Italian Red Wine
- 2 teaspoons pure Pure Saffron From Morocco
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 Garlic clove
- Vegetable Stock as needed (have at least two cups simmering on the stove, you may need more)
- 12 oz Antica Riseria Vignola Carnaroli
- 3 oz freshly grated Parmigiano Cheese
- In a sauce pan sauté minced garlic clove in the olive oil. When golden, add rice.
- Mix slowly, adding vegetable stock each time the rice absorbs it.
- Meanwhile, simmer the radicchio, cut in strips, with olive oil and the red wine, enough to moisten and cook down leaving a bit of liquid in the pan. Add salt, pepper to taste.
- Dissolve the saffron in a cup of hot vegetable stock. Add dissolved saffron and rice to the radicchio. Stir in Parmigiano.
- Some recipes suggest a tablespoon of butter to make it creamier. Do this off the heat. Serve immediately.