Local sweet and juicy cherries are one of early Summer’s great pleasures. They are perfect for a brief moment, and get my full attention, that’s for certain. After eating the first pint or so on the way home from the farm stand, I am always looking for great ways make fabulous even better.
Our friend and colleague, Lior, the genius behind La Boite a Epice’s amazing spice blends, created this recipe for food adventurers like you and me. Rather than cream this recipe uses yogurt, a healthier option that adds a piquant touch, and orange zest to balance the sweetness of the fruit. His Mishmish Spice Blend completes the gesture, with its perfect blend of Crystallized honey, saffron and lemon.
I love this recipe and hope you will too.
- 4 cups Cherries – washed and pitted
- 2 tbs Unsalted butter – diced
- 2 tbs Granulated sugar
- 1 cup Ruby Port
- 1 cup Greek yogurt or Labne
- 1 tbs Mishmish N.33 blend
- 1 Cara Cara orange or any other orange – zest only
Note: If you make this at times of the year when great ripe cherries are not available, use frozen pitted cherries. Watch that the cherries don’t get too soft when cooking, you may want to cook for slightly less time.
- In a bowl whisk together the yogurt and Mishmish blend and refrigerate.
- In a pan melt the butter over medium heat. Add the cherries and sugar. Cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes. Add the Port and orange zest and continue cooking for another 4 minutes.
- Place the cherries in four serving bows and drizzle with the cooking syrup. Place a spoon of Mishmish yogurt cream on top and serve.
Add toasted chopped pistachios or crushed meringues pieces to the yogurt Mishmish blend to obtain a great crunchy texture.