By Parvaneh Holloway
|Serves: Varies||Cuisine: Persian|
Here is a great new recipe by our good friend and lovely lady, Parvaneh Holloway. Here is the main course of her perfect Persian Dinner, Persian Meatballs with Beef and Lamb.
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 1 pound Ground Lamb
- 1 medium Onion, peel and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Persian Spices Blend
- 2 tablespoons Salt
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 tablespoons Butter, melt in pan
- ⅓ cup of Barberries, cleaned with stems removed
- ⅓ cup of Walnuts, finely ground
- ¼ teaspoon Saffron, dissolved in 1 tablespoon of hot water
- Saute onions in 2 tablespoons of oil until golden brown.
- In a large bowl, combine meat, barberries, spices, ground walnuts, sautéed onions, salt and pepper. Knead thoroughly and form into 2 inch meatballs.
- Dissolve saffron in hot water and add to the melted butter.
- Preheat oven to 45oF. Reduce heat to 400F, and place meatballs and oil in an oven-proof dish in the center of the oven and cook for 20 minutes or until meatballs are browned but still tender. Turn the meatballs and baste with saffron twice.
- Serve with rice dishes and/or wrap bread, fresh herbs (basil, mint, tarragon), scallions, and yogurt dishes.
- Nooshe Jan!