By Parvaneh Holloway
|Serves: Varies||Cuisine: Persian|
Here is a great new recipe by our good friend and lovely lady, Parvaneh Holloway. Here is the main course of her perfect Persian Dinner, Persian Meatballs with Chicken and Turkey!
- 1 pound Ground Turkey
- 10 ounces of Ground Chicken
- ½ cup dried Onion
- ½ cup Walnuts, finely ground
- ¼ cup Parsley, stems removed, finely chopped
- ¼ cup Cilantro, stems removed, finely chopped
- ¼ cup Dill, stems removed, finely chopped
- ¼ cup Barberries, cleaned, stems removed
- 1 teaspoon Persian Spices Blend
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Saffron, dissolved in 1 tablespoon of hot water
- 2 tablespoons Butter, melt in pan
- In a large bowl, combine meat, onion, herbs, barberries, spices, salt and pepper. Knead thoroughly and form into 2 inch meatballs.
- Place olive oil in a skillet. When the olive oil is hot add the meatballs, sauté over a medium heat until meatballs are browned but still tender. For oven baking, preheat oven to 425F. Place meatballs and olive oil in an oven-proof dish in the center of the oven and cook for 20 minutes or until meatballs are browned but still tender.
- Dissolve saffron in hot water and add to the melted butter. Glaze meatballs twice. Once arranged on a platter, cover the meatballs with saffron butter and a sprinkle of sumac or lime juice.
- Serve with rice dishes and/or wrap bread, fresh herbs (basil. mint, tarragon), scallions, and yogurt dishes.