By Jennifer Clair
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- ¼ cup dry (fino) Sherry
- Large pinch of Saffron Threads, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 pound Chorizo Sausage, cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium Yellow Onion, finely diced
- 1 1/2 cups short grain Rice (like Arborio or Carnaroli or Bomba)
- 1 green Bell Pepper, seeded and cut into ¼-inch strips
- 2 teaspoons Smoked Paprika
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- 3 large ripe Tomatoes, roughly chopped
- Coarse Salt
- 2 dozen Mussels, scrubbed
- 1/2 cup Frozen Peas, thawed
- In a medium saucepan, combine the broth, sherry, and saffron threads. Bring to a boil, cover, and remove from heat. Set aside for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- In a large 12-inch skillet or paella pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo slices and cook until well browned and almost cooked through; transfer to a plate and set aside.
- To the hot pan, add the onions and peppers and cook until soft and golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, and continue cooking until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add the rice, paprika, turmeric, and cayenne and cook, stirring constantly, until the rice kernels are translucent and the spices are fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, sliced chorizo, the infused broth to the pan (reserving 1/2 cup), and 1 ½ teaspoons salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Nestle the mussels, pointed-side down, into the bubbling liquid and continue simmering until the rice is tender, the liquid has absorbed, and the mussels have opened, about 10 minutes more, adding the additional broth if necessary. Sprinkle with the peas and cover for 10 minutes or until ready to serve (don’t wait too long!).