By Jennifer Clair
- 6 small Eggplants (any small variety), cut into ¾ inch pieces
- 4 large ripe Tomatoes, roughly chopped, juices reserved or one 28oz can whole peeled Tomatoes
- 2 large Zucchini, cut into ¾ inch half moons
- 3 Tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus more for Eggplant
- Coarse Salt & freshly ground Black Pepper, to taste
- 4 Garlic cloves, smashed and thinly sliced
- 1 large Onion, chopped medium
- ½ tsp fresh Thyme leaves
- 2 orange or yellow Bell Peppers, cored and sliced into ¾ inch squares
- ⅓ cup Kalamata or Arbequina Olives, pitted and cut in quarters or 3 Tbs. Capers, drained
- ¼ cup fresh Basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large bowl, toss the eggplant and zucchini with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and season generously with salt. Rub another tablespoon of olive oil on a baking sheet and arrange the eggplant and zucchini cubes in an even layer on the oiled sheet. Roast until golden brown, about 40 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, peppers, and thyme and cook until the onions are translucent and the pepper softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, olives or capers, and cook, partially covered, until the tomatoes break down and the mixture is thickened slightly, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil leaves until wilted.
- Stir in the roasted eggplant and zucchini and season to taste with more salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.