By Hiroko Shimbo
|Serves: 4||Cuisine: Japanese|
- Mix the BBC Sauce, lemon juice and lemon zest in a small bowl.
- Season the salmon on both sides with salt and let it stand for 20 minutes. Carefully rinse the fish under cold running water to remove the salt. Drain and wipe dry.
- Clean the mushrooms and cut off the stems of each mushrooms. Cut the shiitake and white bottom mushrooms into halves. Tear the Maitake mushrooms into quarters. In a bowl toss the mushrooms with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and pinch salt.
- Heat the oven to 350° F. Lightly season the salmon with salt. Heat 2 tablespoons of the canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add the mushrooms and cook until one side of the mushrooms is lightly golden. Turn over the mushrooms and push them to the side of the skillet and add the salmon skin side down. Cook the salmon over medium-low heat until the skin is golden. Turn the fish over with a spatula, and transfer the skillet to the oven. Cook the salmon for 10 to 15 minutes longer, depending on the thickness of the salmon. Please make sure that the fish is cooked through.
- Remove the skillet from the oven. Add the BBC Sauce mixture and water and bring it to a simmer over medium heat. Cook the sauce until it is slightly thickened. While cooking spoon the sauce over the salmon several times.
- Serve the salmon with the mushrooms. Divide the sauce in the skillet to each plate.