|Serves: 6||Cuisine: Greek|
This wonderful Moussaka dish uses a generous amount of Eliunt’s Anfora Extra Virgin Olive Oil. The oil adds a magic touch, allowing the natural flavors of the food to dance on your palate.
- 3.5 ounces Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Onion
- 2 Carrots
- 1 small red Bell Pepper
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- 2 Teaspoons of Oregano and Thyme
- 1 teaspoon of Cinnamon (optional)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg
- 14 oz of Tomato sauce
- ¼ cup of White Wine
- 1.5 lbs of minced Lamb
- 3.5 tablespoons Eliunt Anfora Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3-4 Eggplants (depends on the size of your vegetables and sauce)
- For the Bechamel sauce:
- 2 oz Butter
- 1/3 cup of Flour
- 1 pint milk
- Salt, Pepper and Nutmeg to taste
- Slice the eggplant to about ½ inch thick, and place in an oven-safe tray. Drizzle with Anfora Extra Virgin Olive Oil and put in the oven for 20 minutes at 180 degrees. (You can also steam or grill the eggplants to get the same results).
- Cut the onion and carrots into pieces and sauté in a pan with Anfora Extra Virgin Olive Oil and garlic over low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg. Continue cooking about ten minutes.
- Add the meat, little by little, stirring with a fork to separate.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients, EXCEPT the wine, stirring with a spatula. Cook for 20 minutes. Finally, add the wine and cook for additional 10 minutes.
- After this, remove the meat from the heat. Now it’s time to build the Moussaka! In a baking dish, place a layer of eggplant slices, then a layer of meat sauce. Repeat this process until you’ve used all the ingredients.
- To cook the Béchamel Sauce: Melt the butter in the pan, remove from the heat and stir in the flour. Once mixed, add the milk gradually, stirring constantly. Finally add salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.Once finished, pour over the Moussaka and add grated Parmesan cheese on top. Place the dish back in the oven at 200 degrees for 15 minutes.