|Makes: 1 Cup|
This makes both an excellent topping for warm or cold poached salmon or cod, and a vibrant and flavorful dip for raw vegetables such as endive spears, celery, and cucumbers, and blanched cauliflower, broccoli, or snap peas.
- Tightly wrap the beet pieces in a packet of aluminum foil, keeping them in a single layer (important for quick, even roasting).
- Roast on a baking sheet until very tender, about 1 hour.
- Set aside to cool slightly before rubbing off the skins.
- Cut beets into 1-inch pieces.
- In a blender, combine the roasted beets, yogurt, oil, horseradish or capers, lemon juice, and dill.
- Blend until smooth, about 1 minute, adding up to ¼ cup of water if necessary to puree smoothly.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and more vinegar (if needed to sharpen the flavors.