|Serves: 12 Muffins||Cuisine: American|
Here is a make ahead treat as you fire up the burners for the big feast. Simple to make, they offer a tasty twist to traditional fare with our global ingredients: Okinawa's outstanding Kokuto Brown Sugar, so different from the standard stuff, you'll be using it throughout your menu.Vietnamese Cinnamon and a touch of Cubeb Pepper round out the spice palette. Wellington's Organic Ground Ginger adds just the right note. I'll be right over.
- Muffin Batter
- ½ cup granulated or natural Sugar
- ½ cup Butter
- 3 Eggs
- 2 ½ cups Flour
- 2 tsp. Baking Soda
- ½ tsp. Wellington’s Ground Ginger
- ½ tsp. The Ingredient Finder Vietnamese Cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. The Ingredient Finder Cubeb Pepper, ground
- ¾ cup and 1 tbsp. Vanilla Soymilk
- ½ tsp. Vanilla Extract
- ½ cup Okinawa Kokuto Brown Sugar, crushed (you can put it in a zip lock bag and crush with a sturdy spoon, or quickly pulse in a food processor)
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1 cup Walnuts, finely chopped (optional)
- ½ tsp. Yemen Spice Blend
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a mixing bowl, cream the sugars and the butter together with an electric mixer. When they are thoroughly mixed, add eggs. Once fully incorporated add the soymilk.
- Sift the flour into a separate bowl, together with the baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and Cubeb pepper.
- Make a well in the flour mixture and add the soymilk mixture and fold in until just combined. Be careful not to over-mix!
- Make the topping: Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Grease muffin tins with butter or margarine. You can also use paper baking cups. Fill each cup 3/4 full of batter. Add a full, rounded tablespoon of topping on top of each muffin cup of batter. Note: Batter may resemble more of a drop cookie dough consistency then a batter. This is okay. Use two spoons to drop the batter into muffin tins as directed.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. A toothpick inserted in the middle of the muffin should come out dry. Home ovens heat differently from commercial ovens so you may need to adjust the temperature or the baking time accordingly.
Note: Recipe yields 12 standard-size muffins. If using jumbo muffin pans, reduce the oven temperature by 25° and increase the baking time 5-10 minutes.