This exceptional recipe introduces a novel autumnal note to a show-stopping recipe. Spencer uses Wellington's Organic Pumpkin Pie Spice Blend, containing fine quality organic cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg from Grenada and cloves. This versatile blend makes starring appearances in my pies, soups and stews.
- 2 cups Milk (Half & Half can also be used)
- 1 cup Sugar
- ¼ cup Corn Starch
- 3 med Egg Yolks
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tsp Wellington’s Pumpkin Pie Spice
- ½ oz Gelatin
- ½ cup Cold Water
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- Bowl of ice
- In a double boiler, mix milk, sugar, egg yolks, cornstarch, and vanilla.
- Stirring constantly, cook until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Then add the Pumpkin Pie Spice.
- While cooking the mixture add the cold water to the gelatin and set aside to bloom.
- Whip the heavy cream to stiff peaks.
- Add the gelatin to the Pastry cream mixture, cook until dissolved.
- Once dissolved remove from heat and cool over a bowl of ice. Once the mixture reaches room temperature, fold in the whipped cream.
- Transfer into molds or piping bag.
- If transferring into molds, first prime the molds by brushing the mold with melted butter and lining it with powdered sugar.
- Cool until set and unmold. You can also serve warm without molding.