|Serves: 8-10||Cuisine: Mediterranean|
Thanksgiving is a special time of year, and the pressure is on the cook to make a memorable feast for family and friends. Try this simple and winning recipe featuring expertly crafted Spice and Herb Blends by La Boite a Epices. Mediterranean fragrances will waft from your kitchen.
Purchase the full Thanksgiving In a Box set (shown left) here!
- In a mixing bowl combine the Mousa blend and salt. Rub the turkey with the vegetable oil, then rub with the spice-salt mix, making sure to season the interior of the bird. Place the turkey in a large roasting pan, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, remove the turkey from the refrigerator and bring it to room temperature, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 325 ° F, and place the rack in the center of the oven.
- Place the turkey in the center of a large roasting pan. Scatter the carrots, onions, garlic, rosemary and thyme, then dot the turkey with the butter. Place the turkey in the center of the oven and bake for about 2 ½ to 3 hours, while basting the bird with the cooking juices in the pan every half hour. After 2 ½ hours, check the temperature using a meat thermometer. The turkey is done when the internal temperature taken in the thickest part of the breast is 165 ° F. (If your turkey has a “built in” pop-up thermometer, you may choose to trust it. Though a meat thermometer will ensure greater accuracy.)
- Remove the pan from the oven, and allow the turkey to rest 20 to 30 minutes before carving.
Tips and ideas:
- Strain the cooking juices from the pan and use to make great gravy.
- Save the leftover meat for making cold turkey sandwiches.
- Make a spread for sandwiches or to use as a salad dressing, by mixing 1 tablespoon of Mousa blend with 1 cup mayonnaise.