|Serves: 10||Cuisine: Mediterranean|
Thanksgiving is a special time of year, and the pressure is on the cook to make a memorable feast for family and friends. Try this simple and winning recipe featuring expertly crafted Spice and Herb Blends by La Boite a Epices. Mediterranean fragrances will waft from your kitchen.
Purchase the full Thanksgiving In a Box set (shown left) here!
- 5 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into ½-inch dice
- 1 Granny smith apple, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced onion
- 2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 2 cups thinly sliced leeks, thoroughly washed
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- ½ cup peeled and thinly sliced carrots
- 2 tablespoons Vadouvan Spice Blend
- 1 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 ½ quarts water or low sodium chicken stock
- ½ cup heavy cream (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- In a large heavy bottomed stockpot heat the olive oil. Add the onions, celery, leeks, garlic, apple, and carrots. Cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes until tender, stirring every few minutes. Add the Vadouvan spice, ginger, and brown sugar and cook for 5 more minutes. Add the butternut squash and water. Season with salt and pepper, and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce the heat, and simmer for 1 hour, or until the squash is very soft. Add the heavy cream, if using, bring to boil, and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Blend until smooth using a blender or an immersion blender. Season to taste before serving.
- Add the juice of one lemon to the soup just before serving.
- Drizzle a spoonful of yogurt on top of each soup before serving.
- Use this soup recipe as a sauce for your favorite pasta, adding a few toasted pumpkin seeds as garnish.