|Serves: 10-12||Cuisine: Italian|
Torta dei 7 Vasetti
Tutto fa brodo
Everything makes soup
Almost every Italian knows this recipe by heart! Embarrassingly simple to-make, the name comes from the fact that the ingredients equal 7 “cups,” using a yogurt container as the cup measure.
I love how the yogurt and olive oil combine to create a wonderful clean tart-sweet taste. Great plain or served with a dollop of jam or flavorful honey.
- 1 container, 6 ounces, plain Yogurt
- 1 container Olive Oil
- 2 containers granulated Sugar
- 3 containers 00 or cake Flour
- 3 large Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a tube pan and dust with flour.
- Empty the container of yogurt into a bowl, and using the empty yogurt container as a measure, add 1 container-full of oil, 2 of sugar, 3 of flour, plus the eggs and baking powder. Using an electric hand mixer blend the ingredients until well combined and free of lumps. The dough is fairly dense.
- At this point, if you like, you can add flavorings such lemon zest or fruit. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Since the yogurt container determines the proportions of the other ingredients, you can use a smaller or larger container of yogurt, depending on how big a cake you’d like. I’ve tested the recipe with not just the 6-ounce container noted here, but also with 4 and 8-ounce containers. The cake came out perfect in all cases, but with the larger containers it needs a little more time in the oven.
- Apple Rosemary Cake: Add 1 1/2 cups diced peeled apples and 2 tablespoons minced fresh Rosemary.
- Chocolate Cake: Add 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder and 2 ounces chopped Slitti Dark Chocolate.
- Quick Torta della Nonna: Add 1 cup pine nuts
- Sublime Citrus Cake: Add orange, lime or lemon zest.
- Peach Cake: Add 1 1/2 cup diced fresh peaches.